POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Clouds : Re: Clouds Server Time
16 Aug 2024 00:22:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clouds
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 3 Apr 2002 21:44:36
Message: <chrishuff-306153.21454703042002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3cabba71@news.povray.org>,
 "Chris Colefax" <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

> No media, no layered planes, 3.1/3.5 compatible, fully animateable,
> automatic sun-shading, parameters for lighting, softness, smoothness,
> height, flatness, turbulence - and very quick to render!

The Holy Grail of clouds...how? What are the drawbacks? What types of
clouds can it do?
I think some of the media clouds look more realistic, but only at
settings that cause very slow rendering...and I've noticed clouds in
reality don't look very realistic, either. ;-)
The fog definitely looks wrong, is it hiding some distance artifacts?

Not media...but they look very 3D, they appear to cover up clouds behind
them. Not isosurfaces, they don't fit the part about being 3.1
compatible or being fast. Sprites? In other words, a bunch of partly
transparent objects scattered around the sky? That would get pretty
slow, probably almost at the level of layered planes. You have me
stumped.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/