POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Announce: SkyPOV 0.1 : Re: Announce: SkyPOV 0.1 Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:28:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Announce: SkyPOV 0.1
From: Chris Huff
Date: 5 Nov 2000 12:35:37
Message: <chrishuff-2DD880.12353405112000@news.povray.org>

<Jer### [at] enstfr> wrote:

> > "all" makes more sense than "grey".
> 	I think it depends on what the spline does exactly: is it the same as:
> rgb SPLINE, SPLINE, SPLINE
> 	Or does it only change the brightness?

It uses the same spline to adjust each channel. The current value of the
channel is taken as the "t" value of the spline, and the result of the
spline is used as the new value for the channel.

> A good thing to add too: spline-based manipulations on hue and
> saturation...

Not as a special feature of the spline patch...just use a rgb_to_hsl
filter, then use the ordinary curves filter to adjust hue or saturation,
then use hsl_to_rgb to get the corrected image back. More flexible, less
complicated, and you can combine it with other things to get special
effects. And I *am* planning to write these conversion filters...as soon
as I figure out the math. I've found lots of information about
converting between color spaces, but little or nothing about the actual
equations used to convert between rgb and hsl. That, or I'm just not
recognizing it when I see it...

--
Christopher James Huff

<><