POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Bug in isosurface using pigment function? : Re: Bug in isosurface using pigment function? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 20:18:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug in isosurface using pigment function?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 24 Nov 2000 09:16:18
Message: <chrishuff-2CD9BB.09164624112000@news.povray.org>
In article <3a1e6b2a@news.povray.org>, "Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba"
<abx### [at] abxartpl> wrote:

> first I prepare CSG than I declare function{pigment{object{...}}} to
> describe interior of it and then I clone this as isosurface.
> Isosurface has artifacts even with accuracy 0.00005.
> I have calculated value (with eval) of max_gradient as 200000 but this
> not help.

The object pattern has two states: on and off. It doesn't have any
"in-between" values. Patterns like this have an infinite gradient, and
cause the isosurface algorithm problems. Other patterns that have this
problem are checkers, hexagon, brick, and any pigment that has sharp
lines. Warp is using the boxed pattern, which does vary smoothly, but
his color_map is [0 rgb 1][0 rgb 0][1 rgb 0], which looks like a mistake
to me...it is completely black, with no variation at all, basically a
big, slow rendering 0. I think he wants [0 rgb 1][1 rgb 0] instead.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><