POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Glows are not translated with the light source : Re: Glows are not translated with the light source Server Time
1 Sep 2024 20:18:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glows are not translated with the light source
From: Chris Huff
Date: 8 Nov 2000 07:12:48
Message: <chrishuff-288BCF.07125108112000@news.povray.org>
In article <3a0920e8@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   What I wonder why it can't work like a light_source. You can put a
> light_source inside a CSG and all transformations applied to the CSG will
> transform the light_source as well. Why the glow can't work in the same
> way?

Because it isn't implemented yet!
Light sources are different, they are objects. Glows aren't, they are a
much simpler structure, and changing them to be objects isn't easy and
would consume more memory, so I am going to try a different tactic of
allowing them to be attached to objects. And have you looked at the
current state of the CSG parsing code?

>   It breaks entirely the ideology and structure of a CSG if some sub-part
> of it is not transformed by outer transformations.
>   Besides this, it's not easy at all to calculate the right location
> value inside the glow-block.
>   Also if you change any of the transformations of the CSG, everything
> else changes accordingly, except the glow, which you have to remember
> to recalculate again.

Which is why I am trying to fix that.
Originally, the glow was a light_source effect. I separated it out so it
was an atmospheric effect, like fog, that could be attached to a light
source. I then added more object-like features to it...but it is not an
object, so much of this stuff that happens semi-automatically with
objects needs to be done manually.

>   Btw, I think there could be better (and faster and less
> memory-consuming) ways of storing the glows than a linked list.
>   Just imagine if the triangles of a mesh were in a linked list... ;)

Nearly everything in POV is a linked list...light sources, objects, in
my particle_system patch the particles are in a list, etc...it would be
nice if POV provided some standard functions for allocating, copying,
inserting and deleting parts of, and resizing arrays. For allowing the
glows to be specified in an array, I am attempting to make a dynamically
allocated and resized array of pointers to glows...my last attempt
crashed my computer hard.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><