POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Smoke Trail (60kbbu) : Re: Smoke Trail (60kbbu) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 15:30:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smoke Trail (60kbbu)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 27 Feb 2001 18:20:32
Message: <chrishuff-2809DA.18192027022001@news.povray.org>
In article <3a9c1ace@news.povray.org>, "Rune" <run### [at] inamecom>
wrote:

> I didn't mean that convection is only relevant for atmospheric
> effects. My point was that since the particle_system patch takes into
> account temperature, but not density, the convection only works
> correctly when the density of the particles and the density of the
> surroundings are equal, such as smoke in air. If I am mistaken here,
> please correct me.

You are not mistaken. Actually, the whole heat convection thing was just
hacked up...the new version will use a heat_source keyword to define
heat sources throughout the world, and if a global patterned
"temperature map" is available, it will be a pattern and spline, not a
pattern and color_map, as it currently is. Particle temperature should
also be affected by the temperature of nearby particles. And I may add
density...it probably wouldn't be as flexible as separate user-defined
fluid types (which would mainly be "presets" for particle parameters,
but could also possibly interact with each other in odd ways), but would
allow some simulation of different density fluids, such as fresh and
salt water, and air/smoke.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><