POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Megapov MCP sample (77k) : Re: Megapov MCP sample (77k) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 22:27:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Megapov MCP sample (77k)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 4 Mar 2001 16:00:20
Message: <chrishuff-25D656.15572204032001@news.povray.org>
In article <3AA2A38A.28F03C1C@gmx.de>, Christoph Hormann
<chr### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> That would be interesting, i can't imagine a method right now that would
> do this without a lot of samples. Adaptive sampling would help a lot IMO,
> esp. woth block patterns, but it's quite difficult to implement.

I'll take a look at your source code, and see if I can make it use my
method...and if my method will work. With luck, you will see some sample
images from me soon (and a description of the algorithm, of course). :-)

> Seriously, i think the '_pattern' stuff started with pigment_pattern where
> it's a good idea, like for warp_pattern too, but i'm not sure if that
> should be continued with all patterns.

I think it makes sense in this case...actually, "blurred_pattern" seems
even better. Just plain "blur" seems kind of ambiguous...it doesn't seem
as apparent that the *pattern* is what is being blurred.

> There is already a seperate visibility pattern, but i did not yet include
> it in the documentation, because it's quite preliminary.

Alright...I just downloaded the source code, and will probably integrate
your stuff into MegaPOV+. (it will be the last thing added, though, in
case you release a new version before I complete MP+)

> Right now the effect of the object pattern with visibility can not be
> identically achieved with the seperate visibility pattern.

Now *that* has some potential for confusion...

--
Christopher James Huff

<><