POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Clay Piranha WIP1 (34kbbu) : Re: Clay Piranha WIP1 (34kbbu) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 06:23:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clay Piranha WIP1 (34kbbu)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 1 Mar 2001 16:32:48
Message: <chrishuff-25D0EE.16310701032001@news.povray.org>
In article <3a9d4d14@news.povray.org>, "Rune" <run### [at] inamecom>
wrote:

> Oh I see - I thought lighting and lightning were spelled the same way, but
> they're not!
>
> Lightning lighting lightning lighting lightning lighting.
>
> I feel enlightninged now!

Ahem, "enlightened". Being "enlightninged" sounds rather painful, and
potentially fatal.

"lighting": illumination. Position, brightness, color, etc. of lights in
a scene.

"lightening": making lighter in color, increasing the amount of light.

"lightning": atmospheric discharges of high-voltage static electricity.
Lightning has a lightening effect on the lighting of a scene, but is
otherwise unrelated.

BTW, textures.inc also got this wrong, with the Lightening1 and
Lightening2 textures, so don't feel too bad. It's called "English". ;-)

--
Christopher James Huff

<><