POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dahlstrom craters [~93K Jpg] : Re: Dahlstrom craters and my rills [~137K Jpg] Server Time
14 Aug 2024 09:26:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dahlstrom craters and my rills [~137K Jpg]
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 8 Nov 2002 12:25:15
Message: <chrishuff-2526BA.12250608112002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3dcbd2b8@news.povray.org>, "Hugo" <hua### [at] post3teledk>
wrote:

> It looks great! The overlapping craters are problematic, but apart from that
> (if you don't mind that I nitpick) I think the craters all have a too
> uniform torus, so they tend to look like ripples in water. To expand the
> formulas with more stuff, I've noticed on Chris's links that some craters
> leave traces around them, sort of ... dust tales in all directions.

The radial spokes? That is an interesting effect...you would have to
combine a function texture with the geometry (if this isn't already
done).

One thing I noticed: the craters overlap each other. In reality, new
craters tend to obliterate the features where they hit, and maybe spread
debris over parts of surrounding craters...you would see traces of large
old craters covered by small new ones, or a big new one with only a few
small marks on it. I don't know how this would be done with a function,
I'd do it by simulating the craters hitting over time on a mesh
landscape.

Still, it looks like a very good "cratered landscape", the vast majority
of people wouldn't notice this or care.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/