POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : cloth simulation : Re: cloth simulation Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:16:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cloth simulation
From: Chris Huff
Date: 23 Jul 2000 11:47:14
Message: <chrishuff-2429A4.10475223072000@news.povray.org>
In article <397a694d@news.povray.org>, "Jetlag" <bga### [at] microsoftcom>
wrote:

> I got the texts but haven't reviewed them yet, the web site seems
> abandoned, though.

I've poked through the papers, but haven't really tried to analyze them
yet. I haven't been able to figure out exactly how their model is put
together.

> I'm not sure what you mean, like air-resistance? If so, then no. It's
> a very limited model right now.

Basically just a damping effect, which decreases velocities by a certain
amount each step. The simplest way to do it would be to multiply the
velocity by a certain variable amount...1 being no resistance, 0 being
infinite resistance. Using a greater amount of damping(a smaller value)
might help to keep the simulation stable. Similar to air resistance, but
more simplistic.

One thing you might try to do is separate the passage of time from the
number of iterations, so each iteration covers a specifiable amount of
time. You could just increase the iterations while keeping the time
constant to help make the simulation more stable.
The only disadvantage to this is speed, but it might be possible to use
more iterations only in areas which need it, areas which are under a lot
of stress or which are moving quickly relative to the neighboring areas.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/