POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Announce: SkyPOV 0.1 : Re: color definition (Re: Announce: SkyPOV 0.1) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:26:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: color definition (Re: Announce: SkyPOV 0.1)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 13 Nov 2000 17:56:54
Message: <chrishuff-1FFF27.17570613112000@news.povray.org>
In article <3A10777B.294FE50F@videotron.ca>, Stephane Marty
<alb### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> Actually, this kind of function could be usefull for users, but if in
> addition you want to improve the final quality of rendering, Spectral
> Color Space has to be implemented into PoV.

I suspect that in addition to having to rewrite the renderer, you would
also have to redesign a lot of stuff...you wouldn't be able to use many
of the old algorithms. Not a small job...even bigger than the planned
C++ rewrite for POV 4.0. However, it would make some things easier and
far more accurate...(dispersion, iridescence...)
Maybe 4.0 will be done so some areas could do calculations in spectral
space and others in RGB, so it would be possible to switch to spectral
space a bit at a time, and having a working renderer in the meantime.

> There's a BIG difference of quality between an image rendered using
> spectral space and the same one rendered in RGB...

Do you have any examples? Any links to information on using spectral
color spaces?

--
Christopher James Huff

<><