POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Yet another media sky : Re: Yet another media sky Server Time
16 Aug 2024 12:22:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another media sky
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 13 Mar 2002 19:23:51
Message: <chrishuff-1F2E5B.19232013032002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c8fdafd$1@news.povray.org>, "RAY" <PCH### [at] yahoocom>
wrote:

> Great job, but shouldn't the clouds have thickness (I don't see any).

I do. They aren't towering stratocumolus, but they obviously have
thickness. They have leading edges that are brightly lit, and darker
bodies and edges away from the light. I've seen clouds like this many,
many times, they are more common then the thunderhead type.

> This scene easily shows the problem of sky_sphere, as this sky is a sphere.

This isn't a sky_sphere. If the author used the technique I used in the
POV 3.5 demo file, it tries to simulate the actual atmosphere, with
shells of air and clouds centered far below the origin. It looks like he
did a lot better at it then I did, though... ;-)

> POV's problem is that sky_sphere centers on the origin, but needs to center
> far below the camera.

The sky_sphere feature doesn't "center" anywhere. It is not an object,
it is just a background feature. And it can't do effects like this, just
pigments.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/