POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : IMBJR Flood : Re: IMBJR Flood Server Time
20 Jul 2024 15:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IMBJR Flood
From: Chris Huff
Date: 26 Aug 2000 19:34:09
Message: <chrishuff-1D6FC9.18353726082000@news.povray.org>
In article <39a846ee@news.povray.org>, "IMBJR" <imb### [at] imbjrcom> wrote:

> Mmm, it is because it works by the NTTP protocol - which makes it usenet.

No, it isn't. That just makes it a news server, it is not part of the
Usenet network.

> It's not private, you don't even need an account to access it. It is a
> public news server that is a part of Usenet.

It *IS* private, and is *NOT* part of Usenet. Look at your headers:

and may NOT be distributed on USENET or other news servers.

This is placed on every article posted here. The message "Welcome To the
POV-Ray News Groups" deals with this, specifically the section titled
"News Server Acceptable Use Policy". There is also a message with that
same title, "News Server Acceptable Use Policy", which has more
information. One relevant quote from that post:
"We also wish to remind you that this is a privately owned news server
and as such you are considered an invited guest."

> I must admit I was not aware of such guidelines. Please post them for
> me so I know what they are instead of just hearing of them
> second-hand. Not that I don't trust you, it's just a matter of
> interpretation.

Just read the messages in povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions.
They cover many of these issues.

> Well, not to cast myself as some sort of Lord of POV, if that was the
> case then there's a lot of learning to be done by the good people who
> post here.
> Most of it appears to be experiments that people are trying out or
> Works-in-Progress - neither are what I would describe as best work.

Hmm, I guess I didn't express myself very clearly, sorry...
What I meant was: people don't typically post every thing they render,
and pick out the best images for their web site. When they post works in
progress or experiments, they do so for feedback: comments, suggestions,
etc. If they have a large number of images, they usually put up a
gallery, or just upload the images somewhere and provide direct links to
them.

> I must admit I do not read the text that comes with binaries, well
> not today at any rate as I was attempting to download a considerable
> quantity of the posts and could not read each one, only view its
> attachment.

If you are downloading all the articles, I can understand why you don't
read all of them. :-)

--
Christopher James Huff

<><