POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Povray and reality : Re: Povray and reality Server Time
5 Sep 2024 14:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray and reality
From: Chris Huff
Date: 12 Aug 2000 10:07:01
Message: <chrishuff-1C07FD.09080812082000@news.povray.org>
In article <3994EB2C.844F14BE@yahoo.com>, Adam <bel### [at] yahoocom>
wrote:

> I guess with these programs it is customary to cut corners, like
> Povray does with caustics. I mean, no one's going to model water
> droplets to make a cloud, right. I wonder if you can make distant
> trees or plants using noise instead of having individual leafs.

That is something up to the user...it would sometimes be more efficient
in memory to use the same level of detail for all trees, for example,
when you only have a few tree meshes which are copied over the whole
scene.(a copy of a mesh takes up much less memory than a new one)
In other cases, various methods like textured flat objects or simple
isosurfaces have been used.

> But still, say I want to model polarized sunglasses. As you know,
> they make it easier to see underwater. Or, say I want to test an
> anti-glare coating and I want to choose the coefficients that will
> cause the right frequencies to interfere destructively. Does that
> mean I should get (or make) a specific program?

You would probably have to write the program yourself...these things are
pretty specific. You might be able to find such a program, but I highly
doubt it would be free(or even cheap).

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/