POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Announce: Megapov MCP 0.7.0.1 : Re: Announce: Megapov MCP 0.7.0.1 Server Time
1 Sep 2024 22:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Announce: Megapov MCP 0.7.0.1
From: Chris Huff
Date: 5 Mar 2001 12:59:52
Message: <chrishuff-1BCEBF.12563105032001@news.povray.org>
In article <3AA3CFDD.3A32D90A@aetec.ee>, Vahur Krouverk
<vah### [at] aetecee> wrote:

> I see, that more and more people are tinkering with POV-Ray source code
> and perhaps is is time (after v. 3.5 release ) to use more opened
> development model (e.g. CVS-based) for developing POV-Ray? Current model
> worked perhaps well in days of CompuServe, where there was limited
> number of persons involved, but as Internet gets more and more
> widespread, the number of users and patchers, who are interested in
> development, will grow. In french ng. server there was similar
> discussion about more opened development model, so the idea gets round
> and around.

This has already been talked about, and an official announcement made.
From the message posted by Chris Cason titled "POV-Team Status Report -
September 1, 2000", in povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions:

"...we are also hoping to use a much more open development model for
POV 4, with public read access to our source-revision tree.  System
analysis, design, and implementation of POV 4 will be a very large
task, and this is one way we hope to speed it up.  This open
development model would also hopefully provide development releases
(snapshots) more quickly to the power-user community, similar to what
MegaPov offers now."

--
Christopher James Huff

<><