POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Suggestion: particles : Re: Suggestion: particles Server Time
1 Sep 2024 20:15:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestion: particles
From: Chris Huff
Date: 18 Oct 2000 09:31:30
Message: <chrishuff-1A8F52.08341518102000@news.povray.org>
Please do not post in HTML. For one thing, it made your message much
larger than it needed to be, and it is not readable on all newsreaders.
I had to open it in a web browser...plain text is preferred on this news
server(please read the message "News Server Acceptable Use Policy" in
povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions).

> i have a small suggestion for the particle-generator.

I assume you are talking about the particle_system patch, and not the
ParticlePOV patch...

> The first idea is a "attack" and "delay" value, to set how much
> particles begin or end to flow

Actually, I want to use splines for this...far more powerful, easy to
use, easy to code, and consistent with some other things I plan to use
splines for.

> (the second were to set the speed of particles!)

I don't understand...do you want a similar feature, only adjusting the
speed of the emitted particles based on time? Yes, this could also be
done...

> The sencond idea is to do a list for set more then one start/end
> value for particles.

I don't understand this. Do you want a list of values that are chosen
from at random, for each particle? You do know you can use multiple
emitters, right?

Also, all of these effects should be quite possible by running the
particle system for short amounts of time and making adjustments at each
stopping point...this will take longer though, since it does some
parsing, and I am not sure if it will work properly, I haven't tested it
yet.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><