POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : placing objects at intersections? : Re: placing objects at intersections? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 22:12:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: placing objects at intersections?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 29 Jul 2002 10:17:36
Message: <chrishuff-1A4205.09103229072002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3D44821F.4C35DD5C@earthlink.net>,
 Dawn McKnight <gru### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

> Is there a way to say place object a at the intersection of objects b
> and c?

There is no way to guarantee that they intersect at a single point, and
if they did there wouldn't be a way to find that point reliably. You
could just look for a random point inside the intersection though, as
someone else suggested.

> If there isn't, can anyone suggest how I can find the right equation for
> the shape of a sphere scaled to 1.35 times longer in the y direction
> than in the x?  I tried a parabola, but it came out too flat.

Not a parabola, an ellipsoid. Just a scaled sphere. I'm not sure what
you are trying to do, if you just want points on the sphere, use a
scaled sphere with the trace() function. If you want an isosurface, just
inversely scale the inputs to the sphere function.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/