POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Height field macros - attached files (1/1) : Re: Height field macros - attached files (1/1) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 04:27:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height field macros - attached files (1/1)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 5 Mar 2001 12:07:18
Message: <chrishuff-192BC1.12035705032001@news.povray.org>
In article <Xns### [at] povrayorg>, ing### [at] homenl (ingo)
wrote:

> >I still haven't done smoothing, I'll try to figure out a good way to
> >do it.
>
> How about brute force, patching Warp's mesh_smoother into Povray.
> mesh{
>   triangle<...>
>   triangle<...>
>   smooth {angle 89}
> }

Well, I don't want to make these macros rely on a patch that isn't in
MegaPOV and won't be in POV 3.5. Anyway, I think I have figured out a
way to do it using the displacing pigment that would be even better than
anything that could be done with the triangle data alone.

However, having "post processes" for meshes, things like subdivide,
smooth, etc, is something that I've been thinking of for a while.
Unfortunately, I can't even get a simple warping to work correctly...it
appears that the mesh code was written for the mesh object, and only the
mesh object, it isn't very friendly for other uses. Maybe there's
something in Warp's tesselation patch that will be useful for this,
though...

--
Christopher James Huff

<><