POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Clothray cloth simulation patch.. : Re: Clothray cloth simulation patch.. Server Time
19 Aug 2024 08:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clothray cloth simulation patch..
From: Chris Huff
Date: 3 Mar 2001 08:59:49
Message: <chrishuff-15A430.08572303032001@news.povray.org>
In article <3AA0CFB4.F8F047C3@simberon.com>, David Buck
<dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote:

> Cloth is simulated over time - a static model is not.  If cloth were
> implemented in POV, you would have to specify how much time you want
> to step the simulation before doing the rendering.

My particle_system patch is also a dynamic system...you specify the
number of iterations to use and the amount of time it spans.

> Too little time means that the cloth hasn't finished falling and
> covering the area. Too much time and the cloth could have fallen
> right off your surface. If you were to create an animation with
> cloth, you would have to simulate from the start of the cloth
> simulation to the proper point in the scene. Unless you have some
> way of rendering multiple scenes in POV without stopping, you'd have
> to recalculate that each frame and it would take longer each time.

You mean rendering without constantly re-parsing the scene? That isn't
possible yet, but you can render multiple images without recomputing the
entire cloth system each time. Either save the system to a file at each
frame with a save_file keyword, like radiosity or photon mapping, or
assign it to a persistent variable that is saved from frame to frame.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><