POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : slope-dependent pattern : Re: slope-dependent pattern Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:17:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: slope-dependent pattern
From: Chris Huff
Date: 6 Jan 2001 08:39:01
Message: <chrishuff-1392A8.08403506012001@news.povray.org>
In article <3A56E40F.9D11C7A1@gmx.de>, Christoph Hormann
<chr### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> That's an interesting idea, although it would be somewhat slow when used
> with pigment functions (1 call to function -> 6 calls)

Also, the max slope may not be the best thing to use...you might want to
average the three parts, or treat them as components of a vector and
calculate it's length, or...
As for the speed, yes, it would be slow...but since you mentioned using
it on functions with large-scale features, it probably would be bearable
in many cases.
And if you restrict yourself to 2D, you cut it down to 4 calls...and you
can probably do something with 4 calls in 3D and only 3 calls in 2D, but
I'm not sure if POV functions can do that...you might have to implement
it in C, as a patch.

> Thinking about your mentioning of displace warps, i developed another way
> for the 2d case, see p.b.i and p.t.s-f. for the implementation.

Now that is interesting...I had to look at the source to figure out how
you did it.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><