POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Escape from Lab #608 : Re: Escape from Lab #608 [added rad example ~31K Jpg] Server Time
19 Aug 2024 14:16:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Escape from Lab #608 [added rad example ~31K Jpg]
From: Chris Huff
Date: 27 Nov 2000 21:34:47
Message: <chrishuff-11AF8F.21352027112000@news.povray.org>
In article <3a212af5@news.povray.org>, "Bob H."
<per### [at] aolcom?subject=PoV-News:%20&body=Relating%20to%20POV-Ra
y:> wrote:

> Or maybe wait until there are true "area" area lights?  Long wished
> for, never has happened yet... that I know of.

Depends on what you mean...you can use an object with a high ambient
texture to do it, or you can use a grid of light_sources. If you mean
having area lights be calculated for all illumination instead of just
shadows, that would probably be nearly as slow as using a grid of many
individual lights, though a bit easier on the memory. It isn't a bad
idea, just hasn't ever really been needed...

> Know what you mean by radiosity and glows.  Take a look at this ugly
> beauty I attached here.  It ain't workin'!

"Ugly beauty"...
Well, this is probably happening because glows can get extremely bright
toward the center...sometimes radiosity will send out a sample that
happens to make a near miss, and the extreme brightness throws off the
radiosity calculation, making a "splotch". I have been thinking of a
"max_brightness" keyword to fix this...

--
Christopher James Huff

<><