POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: Previews of Ice Planet stuff : Re: Previews of Ice Planet stuff Server Time
2 Sep 2024 04:15:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Previews of Ice Planet stuff
From: Chris Huff
Date: 29 Aug 2000 17:41:36
Message: <chrishuff-106235.16430729082000@news.povray.org>
In article <39AC1FDE.21DBD949@faricy.net>, David Fontaine
<dav### [at] faricynet> wrote:

> Oops, forgot reflection! The crystals I was just toying around with,
> they need a little work.

As has been mentioned, they would make great quartz crystals...are you
going to post the source?
For ice, maybe thinner, more needle-like crystals would help.

> Then fill in the domes (the domes are solid :-(  ).

Completely solid? Ouch...maybe you should leave out parts in the center.
It would parse a bit longer, but would use less memory.

> Personally, though, I find POV-Ray's language hard to read. I am used
> to C; you always know where a line ends with a semicolon, no manually
> incrementing loops, '{}' indicates blocks rather than objects. POV,
> on the other hand, is very dense visually; characters like '#', long
> keywords, etc. Loops and other control aids are virtually
> indistinguishable without actually reading the code, because in order
> to change a variable you need #local or #declare, which has the same
> first character and is the same color as #while and #end.

I agree...I think it would be an improvement to use {} blocks for while
loops and other blocks. Or at least have different ending keywords:
#endif, #endwhile, etc.
And another thing, it is often difficult to tell if a piece of code is
creating a variable or modifying it. I have proposed a #set directive
that is incapable of creating a new variable but would be used to modify
existing ones, but I seem to be the only person who thinks it is a good
idea. :-(

--
Christopher James Huff

<><