POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Radiosity: 10.2.3. distance_maximum is automatically computed : Re: Radiosity: 10.2.3. distance_maximum is automatically computed Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:14:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity: 10.2.3. distance_maximum is automatically computed
From: Chris Huff
Date: 19 Jan 2001 09:39:32
Message: <chrishuff-104809.09403619012001@news.povray.org>
In article <3A6831F8.99A66548@my-dejanews.com>,
gre### [at] my-dejanewscom wrote:

> My first tweaks at coding suggest that there's not much "interior light"
> making it to the next building.    Any ways around this? Is it possible
> that the change above 10.2.3 made some rooms better but limited
> applicability of radiosity to certain scenarios? Sorry if that's an
> ornery question......

Try raising the recursion level...this will increase the illumination in
areas that are illuminated by light that has gone through a couple
bounces. Also make sure enough samples are being used, and maybe raise
the "brightness" value. Maybe you should add a full moon. (Don't rely on
radiosity from it though, it's too small...use a point light.)

> SECOND QUESTION:  is it true that point light sources will not interact
> with media:  only spotlights will do so?

That's not true at all...where did you hear that? All lights can
interact with media.

> The scenario here is "point light source inside a wiffle ball."  If I
> set up some media, will I see streaks of light pouring out the wiffle
> ball holes?

If you use scattering media and if media_interaction for the
light_source isn't turned off, then yes. (Assuming media density and
light brightness are set correctly, of course)

--
Christopher James Huff

<><