POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Shortest code ever for mandel landscape made of spheres : Re: Shortest code ever for mandel landscape made of spheres => Not any more (25KB) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 10:15:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shortest code ever for mandel landscape made of spheres => Not any more (25KB)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 23 Jan 2001 22:45:43
Message: <chrishuff-0ED374.22463923012001@news.povray.org>
In article <3A6### [at] onlineno>, Tor Olav Kristensen
<tor### [at] onlineno> wrote:

> > camera{location 2look_at 0}light_source{9,1}height_field
> > {pattern 99,99{mandel 9 color_map{[0 rgb 0][1 rgb 1]}
> > scale.3rotate-x*90translate.5}pigment{bozo}}
>
> Using patterns for heightfields is new to me.
> MegaPOV feature ?

Yes. And I think the keyword really should be "pigment_image", not
"pattern", since it takes a pigment (well, pattern and color_map) and
produces an image from it. The two numbers before (?!?) the { bracket
specify the resolution of the image, pigment stuff goes inside the
brackets, and I think you can use it pretty much any place that uses an
image file.

> I wonder why there are such basic functions
> missing from the POV-language.

They were just overlooked or didn't seem necessary...another missing
function is "sgn()", which would return -1 or 1 depending on the sign of
the parameter. (I've patched that one into my own version.) But people
have gotten along for a long time without them, and now that they can be
done easily with macros, there isn't a lot of demand for them to be
added to the program itself.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><