POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Material{} in mesh2 ? : Re: Material{} in mesh2 ? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:15:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Material{} in mesh2 ?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 20 Dec 2000 17:28:39
Message: <chrishuff-0E93A1.17294720122000@news.povray.org>
> Gilles Tran wrote:
> It seems that in Megapov, the mesh2 statement doesn't recognize
> material{}, only texture{}, which is not consistent with usual mesh
> behaviour. Not a big problem with ior, as it still works in the finish
> statement (with a warning), but of course it can be a problem with
> media. I was wondering if this was fixed in Pov 3.5 ?
> G.

I looked at the source, and it doesn't seem to do anything
unusual...does it work if the material statement is the last thing in
the mesh other than transforms?
Or are you talking about a material per triangle? If so, are you sure
that works with the ordinary mesh?

In article <3A4139AD.B2A8A0D5@hlavacek-partner.cz>, Disnel
<dis### [at] hlavacek-partnercz> wrote:
> But it is legal, mesh describes one object with one interior, specify
> another interior (the second part of material than texture) with some
> faces is useless.

What?
Were you saying that it doesn't make sense to let each triangle in a
mesh have it's own interior statement, because they are parts of a
single object?
Hmm, this could be seen both ways:
1: If it lets you specify a texture for a specific portion of the
surface, it should let you specify a whole material for that portion.
2: Individual triangles are parts of one object with one interior, so
materials don't make sense for individual triangles.

It probably could be "fixed", but it wouldn't be very useful, and would
increase the amount of memory used.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><