POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Smoke Trail (60kbbu) : Re: Smoke Trail (60kbbu) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 15:26:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smoke Trail (60kbbu)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 27 Feb 2001 07:27:34
Message: <chrishuff-0D5B95.07262427022001@news.povray.org>
In article <3A9B8F8A.368EA80C@nirvana.net>, "A.B."
<any### [at] nirvananet> wrote:

> Sorry, but i think this is not quite right. Also in liquids convection
> occures. If you put some color small particles into an liquid you can
> see it, i.e. Put some cold milk into hot coffee, but be very carefully:

They are only called atmospheric particles, there is nothing stopping
you from using them in liquids. However, I will probably add a liquid
particle type as well, which will also do convection, as well as other
liquid behaviors...or eliminate different particle types altogether.

> However one problem is there with water as liquid, as water has highest
> density at 4 degrees Celsius (sorry I don't know the degrees of
> Farenheit): That is also colder water will rise! (The cause why you find
> in winter unfrozen water at the bottom of lakes, and the water will
> freese from the top of the lakes. Additional to the fact that ice is
> lighter water, the freezing process really begins the water surface)

I am aware of this, but I do not plan to simulate this effect, since it
happens to few liquids besides water and will be irrelevant 99.9999% of
the times the particle_system patch is used.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><