POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Major bug in MegaPOV Plus? : Re: Major bug in MegaPOV Plus? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:15:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Major bug in MegaPOV Plus?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 9 Sep 2000 14:02:18
Message: <chrishuff-0B1996.13040609092000@news.povray.org>
In article <01c01a81$c5b12c40$697889d0@daysix>, "H. E. Day"
<Pov### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> What two new glow types?  Enlighten me!

A sphere glow with constant density(sort of like a transparent sphere
with fade_color, but a bit faster and doesn't require intersection
calculations), and a glow using the exp() function.

I added a keyword to scale the size, and added another keyword to limit
the glow to a spherical area(this might speed some scenes up). The
keywords are "size" and "radius".

I added a falloff exponent feature, to adjust the rate at which the glow
dims with distance.

I have removed the turbulence feature, but you can now specify any
warps. It will be slightly slower with turbulence and the same speed
without it, but you will have more flexibility now, with black holes,
displace warps, etc.

I added the ability to transform the glow. Scaling only affects the
position, though, since there are currently only point sources.

And here are some features which won't be in the next version, but which
I am planning:
A pigment to control the color(definitely not realistic, but potentially
useful).

Different rendering modes: emission/additive, like it does now,
multiplicative, a mode which imitates scattering media, with constant
density(or some density functions which can be calculated directly), etc.

And I still haven't added that optimization for "turbulence 0", it isn't
a very high priority, since there is an obvious workaround.

I am also thinking of a similar lens flare feature. A separate patch,
not part of the glow feature, but based on the same rendering methods,
and with additional stuff to make it more flare-like.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><