POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : sphere_sweep speed : Re: sphere_sweep speed Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:22:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sphere_sweep speed
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 23 Feb 2002 12:15:02
Message: <chrishuff-0A9A24.12145323022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c77bbd9$1@news.povray.org>, "Hugo" <hua### [at] post3teledk>
wrote:

> It might require a new way of thinking to make Povray render
> something without having all objects declared first ... I don't know
> with vista buffers etc .. but it might be possible?

It is much easier than that. POV only cares about the extents of the
shape (which are already calculated), and where it intersects along a
ray...how the shape comes up with those values is the shape's business.
You don't have to create a bunch of cylinder/cone objects, all you have
to do is change the intersection code. The hard part is coming up with
an algorithm to determine the intersection...the existing sphere sweep
code might be the fastest way to do that short of generating a mesh.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/