POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : object oriented features : Re: object oriented features Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:27:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: object oriented features
From: Chris Huff
Date: 21 Aug 2000 11:30:31
Message: <chrishuff-0A9549.10314921082000@news.povray.org>
In article <slr### [at] fwicom>, ron### [at] povrayorg
wrote:

> You might be surprised.  Except for the arbitrary transforms (which
> make the problem different, but possibly not much more difficult)
> it's relatively easy to decompose a matrix into rotations, scales,
> and translates.  I wrote the whole mess up for someone in c.g.r.r. a
> few years ago; I think I might still have it in my outbox.

But can you decompose the matrix into the *same* set of transforms which
produced it?
My understanding is that there are often an infinite number of
solutions. Getting the "orientation" might be useful, but what else
would be possible?

--
Christopher James Huff

<><