POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPov?? : Re: MegaPov?? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:17:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPov??
From: Chris Huff
Date: 3 Jan 2001 20:43:47
Message: <chrishuff-099E09.20451703012001@news.povray.org>
In article <3a53cd82@news.povray.org>, "Tony[B]" <ben### [at] catholicorg>
wrote:

> > For you Mac users who have MacOS X:
> > Yes there will be a carbonised
> > version of MegaPOV 0.6b!
>
> <ignorant wintel user>What does carbonised mean?</ignorant wintel user>

You asked...
It means it is written using Carbon, one of the API's for Mac OS X.
Carbon is based on the old Mac ToolBox API, updated to allow things like
preemptive multitasking and memory protection...it's advantages are that
a total rewrite of the software is not necessary, developers don't have
to learn a completely new API, and programs using it can run on both
pre-OS X systems (OS 9, and I think OS 8.x with some updated libraries)
and OS X.

The other major API for OS X applications is Cocoa(as in hot chocolate),
which is designed to be used with the Objective-C language, though it
can also be used with Java and (I think) C++. It's main advantage is
development speed(though it may not have as much of an advantage there,
the same tools work with Carbon)...and to me it seems easier to learn.
And it is completely object-oriented, and more up to date...Carbon
apparently still shows it's Pascal ancestry.

Is that more than you wanted to know? If not, I can dig up more... ;-)

--
Christopher James Huff

<><