POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Let it snow (72k) : Re: Let it snow (72k) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 18:31:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Let it snow (72k)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 29 Nov 2000 06:15:40
Message: <chrishuff-09873A.06161429112000@news.povray.org>
In article <3A2369CC.60EF88B6@gmx.de>, Christoph Hormann
<chr### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> > Isosurfaces!
> Or maybe blobs would also do for that.

Probably...you could even use trace() or eval_pattern() with the object
pattern to place them automatically.

> As i said in the reply to Josh, that alone would not be that good, at
> least variation of the blob component size according to the normal of the
> objects would be necessary.

Hmm, yes...that is what my snow macro does. I will post a picture soon...

> I also think at some places like the 'N' in 'Snow' some 'surrounding
> observation' would be necessary to avoid the snow overlapping with the
> objects too much (right now i only use one 'trace' per component).  Maybe
> some components with negative strength could also help there.

I'm attempting to use 4 additional traces to determine if there is a
sharp edge nearby and avoid placing flakes there. It is actually a bit
similar to the depth-based find_edges post_process filter in concept, I
am about to modify it to use the normal as well.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><