POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Pasing pov in C : Re: Pasing pov in C Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:49:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pasing pov in C
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 25 Nov 2002 21:31:48
Message: <chrishuff-08B6EA.21285625112002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3de2db07@news.povray.org>, "Skinou" <ski### [at] wanadoofr>
wrote:

> Hello I am a french student and I work for a school project on a raytracer
> in C wich take a pov file and give a tga file.

It already exists and is called "POV-Ray". ;-)

Seriously, what you are talking about is basically a complete clone of
POV, far too much work for a "school project". Just parsing the language
would be a huge amount of work, assuming you only partially implement
the renderer and don't require an exactly identical image. POV has
developed bit by bit over many years and has countless odd little
quirks, there is no language specification other than the documentation.

A simple language which would be similar enough to POV to render some
POV scenes would be more doable, but I think you would be better off
improving on it than doing a blind copy.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/