POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : OpenGL support idea : Re: OpenGL support idea Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:19:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OpenGL support idea
From: Chris Huff
Date: 16 Jan 2001 16:16:47
Message: <chrishuff-07183F.16174816012001@news.povray.org>
In article <3a63b91e@news.povray.org>, "David C" <dav### [at] satnet>
wrote:

> Well I wasn't thinking of fully supporting all of povray's stuff like
> some of the different light types that don't have a native equivelent in
> opengl. And then, there's transparency, reflections, refractions,
> povray's function-textures, media, imagemaps, and maybe a few more
> I havn't thought of.

I certainly wasn't suggesting you should try to support all of
that...just shadowless point lights, ambient lighting, solid colors, and
orthographic and perspective cameras would be enough, at least at first.

> I think, if I do actually start building it, that I'd try to mimic
> the behavior of native rendering as much as possible.

Probably a good idea.

> For me, this is all just talk so far. I'd love to do it, but I'm not
> sure I will.

It would be an interesting project...and might keep Warp's mesh patch
alive long enough for someone to fix it. ;-)

--
Christopher James Huff

<><