POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : slope-dependent pattern : Re: slope-dependent pattern Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:17:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: slope-dependent pattern
From: Chris Huff
Date: 7 Jan 2001 14:41:20
Message: <chrishuff-05EE5A.14425607012001@news.povray.org>
In article <3a585d21$1@news.povray.org>, "Rune"
<run### [at] inamecom> wrote:

> I completely agree. That is a good syntax. I think everything else than
> SLOPE_VECTOR should be optional, but I'm sure that's what you meant too.

Exactly...you can leave off the whole altitude portion, or just the
LOW/HIGH portions of either altitude or slope. Maybe even make the slope
vector itself optional, many people would otherwise just be using "slope
{y}" all the time, it would be nice if they could just say "slope".

> (You don't specify LOW_SLOPE without specifying HIGH_SLOPE too though, and
> similar with LOW_ALT and HIGH_ALT.)

Actually, you would have to make a special effort to enforce that, and I
see no reason to do so...it would be easier to make them all optional.

> The point type is something I've often wanted myself. Interesting
> effects could be achieved setting the point to the location of a
> light_source or the camera.

Or for things like putting soot on the sides of a cage surrounding a
flame, paint on objects surrounding a very messy accident, etc.

> BTW, what do you think of the clipping suggestions I had?

About the way it repeats when outside the [0, 1] range? Sounds good to
me, but there may be a better solution. Maybe a combination of the
simple slope pattern, a way to specify the clipping/scaling for
individual patterns, and combining patterns together with function
patterns(or with the pigment_pattern).

--
Christopher James Huff

<><