POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Background or sky_sphere and radiosity : Re: Background or sky_sphere and radiosity Server Time
1 Sep 2024 14:28:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Background or sky_sphere and radiosity
From: Chris Huff
Date: 17 Mar 2001 18:19:25
Message: <chrishuff-03C126.18134317032001@news.povray.org>
In article <71m7btcbcguaoigqmbshrfdulggc8pa0pr@4ax.com>, Peter Popov
<pet### [at] vipbg> wrote:

> >I don't think this will work...as far as I know, radiosity samples are
> >taken as if they were camera rays, so if it is visible to the camera, it
> >is visible to radiosity.
> I wonder why. It doesn't make sense to me. Can someone please explain?

Because radiosity doesn't have anything to do with ordinary reflection?
I know diffuse illumination is from reflection in the real world, but
radiosity doesn't have anything to do directly with the value specified
using the "reflection" keyword, so I don't think it would make sense for
"no_reflection" to affect it. The "no_image" keyword might, but it will
also make it invisible to the camera...a "no_radiosity" flag is needed.
I think to be really useful, we would need some kind of
"visibility_group" or "interaction_group" feature to specify which
objects reflect/transmit which objects. Maybe separate
"reflection_group", "radiosity_group", "transparence_group", etc...but I
think a single group keyword should be able to control all of this.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><