POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Four Dimensional Noise - now repeatable : Re: Four Dimensional Noise - now repeatable Server Time
14 Aug 2024 20:19:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Four Dimensional Noise - now repeatable
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 9 Oct 2002 23:13:01
Message: <chrishuff-031AB0.23093409102002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3da4655f@news.povray.org>, "Slime" <slm### [at] slimelandcom>
wrote:

> After thinking about this a bit, I realize that there are occasional
> instances where it's useful to have 4D noise in a still image. Mainly, you
> might be creating a function which relies on the random noise function
> twice. It needs two similar random noise functions, but they can't be
> identical. (Perhaps you're creating a 3D vector with 3 functions, one for x,
> one for y, one for z, which you normalize. Perhaps you're simulating
> turbulence somehow. Maybe you just want to see what noise1() + noise2()
> turns out to be.) By taking different slices of the 4D noise function, you
> can get these two similar noise functions that aren't identical.

4D noise will be slower to compute than 3D noise. I think a better
solution for this case would be to allow a seed to be specified for the
individual noise generators.
With my "dream syntax", random number generators and noise generators
would have a syntax closer to a pigment/pattern function, and you could
specify any number of customized ones with different parameters.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/