POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPOV 1.1 beta : Re: MegaPOV 1.1 beta Server Time
26 Jun 2024 14:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPOV 1.1 beta
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 18 Aug 2004 13:25:02
Message: <cg03b2$9kr$1@chho.imagico.de>
Samuel Benge wrote:

> Thanks Christoph, and to the MegaPOV Team! The CodeWarrior version seems
> to work fine on my machine (P4 1.6mhz, 512mb ram, Windows 98). It runs
> slightly slower than the (unpatched) official POV-Ray release, but much
> faster than the recommended download.

That sounds promising, do you have some actual numbers for comparison
(preferably the benchmark of course).

> I'm glad to see mlPOV made it in.... all those other features are cool
> as well (an HDR render I did actually got my older brother to gasp when
> he saw it... rare). All those features are sure to keep me busy.
>
>  > We encourage those who have some experience with POV-Ray to test the
>  > beta version - this will help us to find possible flaws which might be
>  > there since it was quite some time since the last release.  Please
>  > report problems to povray.unofficial.patches.
>
> There does seem to be a bug in the camera_view pigment. When the
> camera_view pigment is placed inside a pigment_pattern block, the (now
> grey) shades of color stop at white and start at black again. In other
> words, if you had a white sphere with light shining in it, the highlight
>  (diffuse finish) would appear to have black rings turning from
> black-to-white instead of one smooth gradation. I'm sure this has to do
> with the fact that the patch can't handle high color values yet. No
> amount of color_mapping helped in this situation. I can make a file
> demonstrating this, if needed.

Sounds like a color clipping problem to me.  It seems pigment_pattern
does not clip the values (this is the case in official POV-Ray as well).
  Try:

pigment {
   pigment_pattern {
     bozo
     color_map {
       [0.5 color rgb 0.0 ]
       [0.7 color rgb 10.0 ]
     }
   }
   color_map {
     [0.0 color rgb 0.0 ]
     [1.0 color rgb 1.0 ]
   }
}

As a workaround you could do the clipping yourself by using a function
pigment with a pigment function. :-)

Christoph

Last updated 06 Jul. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______