POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPOV 1.1 beta : Re: MegaPOV 1.1 beta Server Time
27 Sep 2024 18:15:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPOV 1.1 beta
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 18 Aug 2004 07:35:01
Message: <cfveqt$5dp$1@chho.imagico.de>
LightBeam wrote:

> It's an excellent news ! I found megapov very impressive but... Where is the
> finish_map patch that was included in mlpov 0.83 ? I don't think that patch
> was:
>
> - buggy
> - incomplete
> - published too late to be included
> - incompatible to POV-Ray 3.6 (I don't really know)
> - no one found the time to add it (Really ;-)  or in beta 2 ??)
> - did not appear useful (I don't think so...)

Well - that one is difficult.  When i had a look at it i found it quite
badly designed (or at least unusual).  The syntax was not easy to use
and misleading - specifying functions instead of floats without a
wrapping function{} is not a good idea (*).   Also i think Mael
considered it incomplete - he wanted to add support for anisotropic
finishes IIRC.

In fact 'finish map' is a misleading name - a finish map would be
something like:

texture {
   pigment { ... }
   finish {
     bozo
     finish_map {
       [0 Fin_1][1 Fin_2]
     }
   }
}

(*) if it is nor clear what i mean imagine the following variation of
the sample in the MlPOV manual:

#declare fct = function { pigment { checker color rgb 0 color rgb 1
scale .1 } }

sphere { ...
   finish {
     uv_mapping
     reflection { fct (1) }
   }

Should that be an incorrect call to function fct() or a function based
reflection minimum and a constant reflection maximum?

Christoph

Last updated 06 Jul. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______