POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Win64 ported source. : Re: Win64 ported source. Server Time
27 Jul 2024 20:38:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Win64 ported source.
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 13 Aug 2004 11:10:02
Message: <cfilav$ej7$1@chho.imagico.de>
MaxLock wrote:
> [...]
>
> But since you announce and release PovRay for AMD64 (why BTW only for AMD64?
> Nocona already lunched), you have done this porting as well. So I just want
> to be in track with main line sources,

AMD64 stands for the 64bit extensions of the x86 instruction set
introduced by AMD.  All processors sold by Intel with 64bit extensions
(except the Itanium of course) make use of the same extensions (which
does not mean that we can guarantee it also runs on those but if not
that is Intel's fault).

> why don't you just made Win64 clean
> sources available?
>
> I can provide you with binaries for IA64 (compiled by Intel compiler) to
> place on your site, I read you asked in some thread, and for x86-64 as
> well.

There have not been any changes in the core code in relation to this
port (the core code was already fully 64bit compatible before).  The
changes were only in the windows frontend and i assume they will be part
of the 3.6.1 source release.

We probably won't offer an official Itanium version of POV-Ray unless
someone on the team decides to buy an Itanium (which is pretty unlikely)
or someone donates one to us (which is pretty unlikely as well).  You
are welcome to offer an unofficial version of course.

Christoph

Last updated 06 Jul. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______