POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : libpng Security Vulnerabilities : Re: libpng Security Vulnerabilities Server Time
18 Jun 2024 07:44:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: libpng Security Vulnerabilities
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 5 Aug 2004 10:35:02
Message: <cetgc0$8po$1@chho.imagico.de>
Ryan Lamansky wrote:

> This means a scene file using a PNG image map could potentially contain
a malicious payload.

You should use correct formulations, this is nonsense as you wrote it.
A broken PNG image can cause security problems when you use it in
POV-Ray as an image map.

The whole thing isn't new, there have been similar problems with other
support libraries before.  I really don't understand why people make so
much fuzz about it.  If you had asked me a week ago to bet $1000 on
libpng containing vulnerabilities or not the answer would have been
completely clear.

Christoph

Last updated 06 Jul. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______