POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : [announce] JITC: Really fast POVRay FPU : Re: [announce] JITC: Really fast POVRay FPU Server Time
18 Jun 2024 09:09:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [announce] JITC: Really fast POVRay FPU
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 4 Aug 2004 01:40:01
Message: <cepsnj$260$1@chho.imagico.de>
Wolfgang Wieser wrote:
> Hello all...
>
> the last two days, I wrote a patch for UNIX POVRay-3.6. to speed
> up user-functions as used e.g. in isosurfaces.
>
> Instead of interpreting the functions as done by the POV VM, this
> patch does just-in-time compilation of the function using the system
> compiler -- all that on-the-fly completely transparent for the user.

I think the work probably would have been better invested in
implementing an internal JIT compiler using the existing hooks as
Thorsten explained.  This would work on all x86 systems (and for Mac an
implementation already exists).

BTW your page does not say which optimizations you used for compiling
the patched version.  To me it seems quite unlikely that you always get
a speedup, there is also some overhead introduced by calling an external
library.

None the less an interesting idea of course.

Christoph

Last updated 06 Jul. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______