POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [RFC] Little isosurface patch ? : Re: [RFC] Little isosurface patch ? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 06:00:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [RFC] Little isosurface patch ?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 27 Feb 2004 09:58:03
Message: <cd24h1-ibf.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
Wolfgang Wieser wrote:
> I am not completely sure about what I am talking here but at least
> what I propose in the following lines removed black spots on the isosurface
> of my Mars renderings. (These spots only occur when the light comes under
> a flat angle and when no_shadow is NOT set.)
>
> [...]

What you describe seems to be specific to shadow rays, does your
suggested change also influence the appearance of the actual surface
(i.e. camera rays). You could try rendering with a fairly large accuracy
value for testing.

I agree with Thorsten that the interpolation will probably cause
slowdown without much advantage (and i don't think the simple version
you posted will work correctly in all situations).  Also note we are
talking about differences of a maximum of accuracy*0.5.

Christoph

Last updated 11 Jan. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______