POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : LOTW 040704 (159K) : Re: LOTW 040704 (159K) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:23:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: LOTW 040704 (159K)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 5 Jul 2004 07:10:01
Message: <ccbcp4$9oc$1@chho.imagico.de>
Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:
>   Yes... although not much more. A solution I figured out for quick
> skies is to choose a fixed sun placement and render a spherical map of
> the media clouds to use it later on the scene with the same sun
> position, but it needs very high resolution images. Rendering a decent
> skymap can take several weeks... and it only serves for a concrete sun
> placement.

But when you have one sky map you can rotate it arbitrarily around the
vertical axis to get different sun positions in azimuth.  The height of
the sun is of course fixed, as well as the position of the clouds
relative to the sun.  And for good results you would of course need a
high dynamic range map.

>> Is this randomly set up or did you select the composition manually?
>

>   Almost totally random, as I added an optional main seed to generate
> individual seeds for each feature. In this one I've manually selected
> the terrain and fog colors, the sun placement, and the diameter and
> center of the vegetation area (based on the camera placement, which is
> random, as it should be!;)
>
>   There is something very addictive in trying seed after seed until you
> find a nice setup... I'm using the animation features to get a different
> landscape on each frame, so I can let it automatically render many low
> res tests, to latter chose the best ones and tweak them manually.

This is exactly what i meant.  In fact it does not matter much if you
manually tweak the settings or if you try random scenes until you find
one that looks good.  The thing i am having trouble with is to get the
random parameter selection to *always* produce a scene that looks
reasonable.

Christoph

Last updated 01 May. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______