POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : LOTW-2 (4x~90k) : LOTW-2 (4x~90k) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 21:07:48 EDT (-0400)
  LOTW-2 (4x~90k)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 28 Jun 2004 18:00:33
Message: <cbq4bp$54i$1@chho.imagico.de>
After so many of you have tried randomized landscape i of course also
had to try some improvements - here are a few test renders.  In contrast
to most of the other tests i have seen (which really look good BTW) i
have made more closeup looks this time which poses additional problems
(at low sun angles i regularly get completely shadowed images for example).

The difficulty of a truely random system (i.e. where you really render
the image defined by a random number and not select one of the stream
that looks best) is to restrict the parameter ranges to regions
resulting in interesting images and at the same time not make all
renders look the same.

Since this work seems rather boring to me i got the idea that one could
have the computer automatically do this using standard optimization
methods.  There are mainly two problems about this: 1) you need a lot of
tests to find 'interesting regions in parameter space', especially in
high dimensional problems like this (i currently have about 100
parameters). 2) you have to measure the 'quality' of the resulting image
somehow, preferably automatically of course which is quite impossible.

So my idea is to render a set of images (maybe 10-20, something like a
reasonable population size for an evolution strategy) in small size
every week and have a public voting on them and use this vote for the
ranking.  Then maybe render the highest rated image in larger, generate
the next step population and start again.

I have not yet worked this out compeletely but it could be an
interesting thing to try out.

Christoph

Last updated 01 May. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'lotw-t1.jpg' (92 KB) Download 'lotw-t2.jpg' (94 KB) Download 'lotw-t3.jpg' (78 KB) Download 'lotw-t4.jpg' (89 KB)

Preview of image 'lotw-t1.jpg'
lotw-t1.jpg

Preview of image 'lotw-t2.jpg'
lotw-t2.jpg