POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : ini_option : Re: ini_option Server Time
2 Sep 2024 16:17:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ini_option
From: Glen Berry
Date: 8 Feb 2000 00:16:01
Message: <cJ2fOAuqbHeI=4FNcTNvQcC=Keim@4ax.com>
On Mon, 7 Feb 2000 13:49:45 -0500, "Nathan Kopp" <Nat### [at] Koppcom>
wrote:

>Why?  Because "that's the way it's always been"?  That by itself is not a
>good reason.  (That reason, coupled with "users appreciate backwards
>compatibility and consistency", as Thorsten mentioned, is a pretty good
>reason, however.)

Speaking in general, the "backwards compatibility" flag is waved by
*someone* almost every time a change is suggested. I say if a
particular  change is for the better, then screw backwards
compatibility. If I have to change syntax on one of my older scene
files to accomodate a new version of POV, then so be it. I won't be
crying about it. I'll be too busy appreciating the new features or
improvements. I'd hope that most people have a similiar opinion.

Please note that this post isn't concerning the ini_option issue. I
just want to express this opinion openly in regards to *any* change
that is being considered by the POV-Team, or any of the programmers
making custom patches. Please, don't ever be afraid to try something
new.

thanks,
Glen Berry