POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Re: POV-Ray & KD-Trees : Re: POV-Ray & KD-Trees Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:58:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray & KD-Trees
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 30 Apr 2004 04:30:02
Message: <c6t2nf$22g$1@chho.imagico.de>
Daniel Neilson wrote:
> [...]
>
>  I just ran povray on isocacti.pov using the optimization settings present
> in the Makefile that you sent me. Just give POV a few seconds. There's
> something about this particular scene which makes building the kd-tree take
> a little bit more time than I'd like -- I suspect it's all the rocks
> intersecting with the ground. On my P4 3.0GHz machine here, it takes about
> 5 seconds to build the kd-tree for that particular scene.

I waited for about half a minute - 48 seconds were required in fact.

So we have:

standard POV: 6s parse + 59s trace
your kd-tree: 48s parse + 60s trace

Since scenes containing a lot of small objects placed on the surface of
a large object are very common (any landscape with plants, houses, rocks
etc.) i think this is a major problem.  In a large size render the parse
time difference will of course not be so important but it would not be
possible to really replace the existing technique with your system with
such a difference.

Also note that in this scene the memory use difference is 186Mb with the
kd-tree vs. 27Mb with standard POV!

Christoph

Last updated 21 Mar. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______