POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG] : Re: Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG] Server Time
15 Sep 2024 06:01:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG]
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 22 Apr 2004 09:35:02
Message: <c68hcv$5l8$1@chho.imagico.de>
Dan P wrote:

> What you are describing is called the "albedo" of an object. This
> website[1] defines albedo as, "the fraction of light that is reflected
> by a body or surface." This site contains some albedos that illustrate
> your point:
>
> (higher = brighter)
> Venus: 0.76
> Earth: 0.33
>  Moon: 0.12
>
> The Earth is 21% brighter than the moon (as you've said), probably
> because of all the water on the surface and in the clouds. Venus is 43%
> brighter [...]

What?

I don't know where you learned math but this can't be meant seriously.

If earth reflects a fraction of 0.33 of the incoming light and the moon
0.12 that means the earth surface reflects 2.75 times the amount of
light the moon surface reflects per surface area.  I don't even want to
try to imagine how you came to '21% brighter'...

Christoph

Last updated 21 Mar. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______