POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Head Experiment : Re: Head Experiment Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:13:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Head Experiment
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 16 Apr 2004 14:05:02
Message: <c5p73s$a7n$1@chho.imagico.de>
Mick Hazelgrove wrote:

> [...]  Normally such output would be in the form of a displacement
> map and a low res mesh( the way the pros are moving) but Pov does not
> support subpixel displacement maps.

???

POV-Ray is a raytracer and whatever program you saw advertising itself
being capable of doing 'subpixel displacement mapping' surely wasn't
one.  A raytracer doing on-the-fly displacement of a mesh does not even
know it it is 'subpixel' or not.

I don't see any problem rendering a 750 MB mesh if you have enough
memory.  But of course such a large mesh for a simple head is quite too
much, as Gilles said an adaptive subdivision would be the way to go.

Christoph

Last updated 21 Mar. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______