POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : bend/twist : Re: bend/twist Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bend/twist
From: Peter Popov
Date: 14 Aug 2000 23:24:50
Message: <bjdhpssfm4iffmmdm72r0gtivof4si9cfn@4ax.com>
On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:14:00 -0700, Stan <swr### [at] earthlinknet>
wrote:

>Where can I get a plug-in to bend/twist objects in Moray 3.2? It would
>also be nice if the code generated by the plug-in resembled Chris
>Colefax's object bender include file for POV-Ray 3.x

Stan,

while it supports other formats and renderers, Moray is more or less a
modeller aimed at POV-Ray. As such, it supports more or less the
feature set of POV-Ray. I suggest you read the part of the POV-Ray
docs which explains the difference between solid and mesh modelling
and rendering. Moray is a solid modeller and POV-Ray is a solid
rendered and what you want to achieve is a few clicks away in NURBS or
patch modellers (which mose people would qualify as mesh modellers).

To put is simply, in Moray and POV a sphere is a sphere, the surface
lying on a specified distance from a point. It is *not* a bunch of
triangles not a bunch of control points. Same goes for the rest of the
primitives.

POV supports meshes and bicubic patches (and MegaPOV supports UV
mappong and bezier patches) and there are various programs you can use
to model your object and import to POV-Ray (or Moray, as an UDO) if
the latter two can't do it for you. These include, but are not limited
to, sPatch, HamaPatch, Rhino, and all CAD and other programs capable
of exporting to the common 3D file formats (DXF, 3DS, UDO) which you
can then convert to POV.

Browse the links on povray.org for the links to aforementioned
software.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet