POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : mars probe landing site [88k] : Re: mars probe landing site YAMPLS [27K JPG] Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:17:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mars probe landing site YAMPLS [27K JPG]
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 11 Jan 2004 06:42:03
Message: <b6p7d1-5ih.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
Hughes, B. wrote:
> The monolith fits right into this scene, just needs a few proto-humans
> touching it and jumping around.
>
> Christoph didn't mention the specific source for his elevation map but it
> looks like it has real good resolution. I didn't look around too far into
> the aforementioned web site.

http://wufs.wustl.edu/missions/mgs/mola/megdr.html

The complete planet data is nearly 2 GB.

> However, I used some images from www.space-graphics.com which seem very good
> too. Nice thing about the texturing image map is that it doesn't use faked
> shadowing, which messes up the lighting direction. The bump map is very high
> resolution, and yet I'm not sure if it rivals that of Christoph's or not
> since I haven't rendered the Gusev crater region. Here's the expected
> Opportunity rover landing site though. Should be slightly down and right of
> center. I'm still working on the media for the dusty air because it doesn't
> spread across the planet the way I'd like it too.

The elevation map is probably lower resolution but the image maps look
very nice (especially the 'flat' one on
http://www.space-graphics.com/redmars_v3.htm) - i was not able to find
any high resolution images without shading when i did my first renders.

Christoph

Last updated 11 Jan. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______