POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Focal blur experiment (~45k) : Re: Focal blur experiment (~45k) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:32:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Focal blur experiment (~45k)
From: bob
Date: 9 Jul 2004 13:22:41
Message: <b303s1-771.ln1@phillip.local.net>
Andrew C on Mozilla wrote:
>> It's funny that rendering this with focal blur on my new box is
>> roughly 2 or 3 times faster than just rendering normally on my old
>> box, but I guess dual Opterons and a Gig of RAM will do that :P
>

> If you're using the standard POV-Ray build, I think you'll find that
> only 1 processor is actually doing any work...
>
> (Well, *actually*, only 1 processor is doing the rendering; I'm sure the
> other one is handling stuff like updating the display and powering the
> GUI, etc.)
>
> Also, I would imagine for this particular thing, it didn't use an aweful
> lot of RAM...
>
> (...on the other hand, it reports a peak memory usage of roughly 290 MB,
> so what would I know?)
>
> Andrew @ home.

I was very much aware of that, but either way, running on one of two
Opterons (with all the system overhead moved to the other) and a gig of
ram sure beats the 866Mhz CPU and 256Megs of RAM on my other system.
This way I can have it running in the background while still having a
normal system (as this is my main box) I can even play UT2004 whithout
losing much speed on POV-Ray :-D

(I also think it is using all that ram because of all the reflections in
the glass and because I don't know how to use radiosity right :P)